SMS: Ideas for Communicating with Customers via Text-Messaging
To the average mobile phone user, the idea of brands interacting via text messages is somewhat of a turn-off. Text messages are more private - usually coming from the people that matter to us most in life with some kind of information we need to process right away. To put that kind of "immediate attention" and interruption power into the hands of major companies is often undesirable.
So, as a marketer, how could you possibly leverage SMS in a way that would be accepted by customers?
Here are some of our ideas - all of which would require a consumer's opt-in or initiation:
- Email Acquisition: Ask people to sign up for email offers in your brick-and-mortar store or on a direct mail piece. We recently wrote a blog post on the benefits of using SMS for sign-up.
- Transactional/Customer Service: Give people updates on their orders - especially when it comes to in-store pick-up or delivery of packages.
- Promotional: Some people may want to get daily deal alerts sent to their phones, get notifications of flash sales or participate in limited-time events. RedBox ran a 10-days of deals campaign that revolved around texting daily to get your coupon. This kind of approach is annoyance-free as the contact has to initiate the texting themselves.
- Text to get your Loyalty Points, Account Balance, etc.
- Location-Based Messaging: Alert subscribers walking by your local brick-and-mortar store that a sale is taking place (maybe even on their favorite product).
- Poll or Survey: Get quick feedback on a new product or learn more about your subscribers.
- Contest/First-come, first-serve promotion: Use SMS to reward the first 200 people who text in with a special promotion code - or reward the 200th participant with a prize.
What do you think? What have you seen work well? How would you as a consumer be interested in using SMS when interacting with a brand?
Manager of Strategic Services at Bronto
Don't miss a single post! Receive Email, Mobile, and Social strategy insights from the Bronto Blog by subscribing now!
Get new Bronto blog posts by email
About the Author
Kristen Gregory is the Director of Marketing Services at Bronto. She leads a team of consultants who develop and optimize revenue-generating strategies and implement key projects for their clients' marketing programs. Kristen has a multi-channel marketing and consulting background and over eight years of email experience. Kristen is a contributor to the Bronto Strategy Blog, speaks at industry conferences and has been featured in industry publications like Chief Marketer, The Retail Email Blog, Shop.Org and Marketing Profs.