Independence Day email themesYour brand always has something to say, even if you don’t sell any food-fun-family or patriotic products. Your emails don’t need to be extravagant to be effective. Just make sure they’re fun, relevant messages — and probably centered on red-white-and-blue and summer themes, too.
Happy birthday, America!It is, after all, the reason for the holiday. And in reviewing many of last year’s emails, using the HBD acronym for happy birthday was in vogue — but even millennials might not know what that means, so know your audience and/or test. Brand – Bloomingdales Subject Line – Go Fourth and Party Preheader – Break out the fireworks.
Get patrioticWe see plenty of red, white, and blue this time of year, and playing up the patriotism is always a safe bet this time of year. AUrate takes a creative approach to it by mentioning that they’re made in the USA, showing that you don’t have to sell American flag-print board shorts to strike a patriotic tone. Brand – AUrate Subject Line – Proud to be NYC-Made this Independence Day. Preheader – Red, white, blue – and gold.
Run a solid incentiveEmails can be simple yet effective, with a little creativity. One of the best ways to stand out in the inbox is with a subject line that has a % next to a big number, no matter the email. Bebe did a lot of things right here: They included a summer food, put a huge discount in the subject line, and smoothly made the offer work for both their physical and online stores. Brand – bebe Subject Line – Look fabulous on the 4th + EXTRA 60% OFF Preheader – Shop the End of Season Sale. And, they included a store locator to top it off. Similarly, Postmates makes a great use of an incentive to play off of all of the themes: BBQ, America’s birthday, and barbecue. Knowing that 62% of Americans will be celebrating with a cookout, targeting the other 38% to make up for an otherwise slow day for food delivery is a clever strategy. Brand – Postmates Subject Line – Happy 4th! Here's FREE DELIVERY. ?? Preheader – Happy Birthday, America! We're waiving delivery fees on the best American and BBQ
Food, family, and fun
Your emails can serve as a fun reminder of everything else that goes with getting together on the long weekend. The email below makes good use of animation to get the food message across and has a cute, on-brand play on “dogs” and a simple message playing into the barbecue theme. Brand – Rover.com Subject Line – Snag a Fourth of July sitter for your dog Preheader – Sitters book quickly around holidays.
Just wish them a happy holidayHolidays don’t have to be about promotions — sometimes they’re just a good way to click with customers. And with all of the holidays surrounding Independence Day, you may not want to press too heavily with any further promotions. Royal Caribbean’s Fourth of July email does a solid job of bringing elements of their brand, like the sunglasses and beach, into their email without distracting from their message, which is simple: Have a happy holiday. Brand – Royal Caribbean Cruises Subject line – Wishing you a happy and safe Independence Day Preheader – Enjoy the fireworks and fun
Add an element of urgencyAdding urgency to a subject line is a tested and true way to bring attention to subject lines, and the text in the body does a great job of speaking to shoppers where they are (literally). But the most the creative element here is the heavy use of red with minimal white and blue to stand out from the other emails we see this time of year. Brand – Shop Spring Subject line – Shop our 4th of July Sale–ending soon! Preheader – Dresses, sandals, swim, + tops on sale.
Offer useful contentOffering helpful content is a solid strategy for any holiday, especially ones that involve planning and cooking. Brooklinen took it to another level, capitalizing on the Fourth of July falling midweek with the “weekday holiday hangover” guide — and a discount with emojis in the subject line earns bonus points. Brand – Brooklinen Subject line – Oh, save can you see ??? Preheader – Get 10% off your order today only.
3 more Independence Day email creation tipsOnce you’ve got your theme chosen and you’ve designed the perfect email, there are a few other considerations to make your July 4th emails are perfect before you hit send.
Keep your Fourth of July email subject lines simpleYour best bet with your Independence Day subject lines is to be straightforward and to the point. Let your email copy play up the themes and clichés — let the subject lines speak for themselves. Try something simple and clear, like these:
- The Perfect 4th of July Weekend
- Celebrate Independence Day with free shipping on all orders
- 6 Big-Batch Cocktail Recipes for the Fourth of July
- Grilling Secrets from the Pros – 4th of July party menu
- Happy Birthday USA Shop our 4th of July sale