1. Invite subscribers to refer their friends.First, craft a message that you will send out as a blast to encourage existing subscribers to refer a friend. To encourage participation, be sure to include an incentive. In their blast, BodyCandy.com includes a refer-a-friend callout front and center along with a 15% discount offer.
2. Collect the referral details.Once the subscribers click through the “Refer a friend” button, they are taken to a webform where they will enter their friend’s email address and can include a quick note to include in the email their friend will receive.
3. Thank your subscribers for the referral.
Once the referrer submits the referral details by clicking “Tell a friend,” they are presented with a thank you webform that confirms their submission was successful and provides their discount code for the 15% offer. From here, the person can continue on to the BodyCandy.com website to shop with their 15% discount.
In case the subscriber is not yet ready to shop or gets distracted, they will receive a thank you email as well. This thank you email looks a lot like the thank you webform, reiterating that their referral was successful and providing the 15% off coupon again. This is a good practice because not everyone is ready to buy right away. The follow-up email serves as a gentle reminder that they have a coupon to use.
4. Notify the referee about the invitation.You’ve taken care of the referrer, but what about the friend who was referred? They will receive an email clearly explaining that their friend has suggested they “join the party” with BodyCandy.com. This message highlights what the person can expect by signing up for their email program and includes a nice clear “Sign Me Up” call to action button that can’t be missed. They are also enticed with 15% off at sign-up.
5. Collect the new subscriber’s details and add them to your list.
Once the friend clicks “Sign Me Up,” they are taken to a webform to enter their contact information and subscribe to BodyCandy.com’s email list. The new subscription immediately triggers an email that welcomes them to the party and provides the 15% off coupon code.
Refer-a-friend campaigns can work well as a blast to your list, but they can also be used as part of an automated lifecycle campaign, such as a welcome series or post-purchase series. Ideally, your email platform will allow you to create segments of subscribers who have received and opened the message in the past so you can suppress them from future sends, whether they be blasts or automated campaigns. As you can see, there are many steps to implement before you can go live with a refer-a-friend campaign. To recap, here is a checklist of what you will need to create in order to get started:
- An email inviting subscribers to refer their friend.
- A refer-a-friend webform.
- A webform to thank your subscriber for the referral.
- A follow-up email to thank the subscriber again and provide their promised discount.
- An email to the referee that includes a big “sign up for emails” callout.
- A sign-up webform to collect the referee’s contact details and add them to your list.
- A thank you webform that lets the new subscriber know their submission was successful.
- A welcome message for the new subscriber.